Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Tide Goes Out, The Tide Comes In

I was so proud of myself. Twenty books I knew I’d never read again, their only reason for existence in my office to take up shelf space that could be used for books I will read again, or at least want to keep. This afternoon I boxed up all that excess and took it to the local thrift store, where someone could at least get some value for them. My good deed for the day.

Then I got to wondering what kinds of books a thrift store carries. Parked the car and went in the front entrance. Turns out there are some pretty book books in thrift stores. First rate writers like George Pelecanos and Linwood Barkley and Harlan Coban and Lee Child and James Lee Burke. All of whom came home with me to overflow my TBR shelf. Again.

I’d look for a twelve-step plan, but I haven’t hit rock bottom yet. That’s the scary part.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sometimes I feel guilty for paying $.50 for them. But not enough to pass them up.

Charlieopera said...

I've gone through 2 such book buying 12 step programs. The first set me back from paying for new hardcovers to ordering from amazon.

Now it's alibris (although I just ordered 2 from amazon ... but it's almost Christmas, right)?

Or is it a winter festival?